Field Service Technician | Job Description
GENERAL DEFINITION : Inspect, assemble, oil fill and test high voltage power transformers. Inspect, test, repair, and maintain electrical equipment in generating stations, substations, and in-service relays.
• Inspect, assemble, vacuum process, oil fill and High Voltage transformers
• Construct, test, maintain, and repair substation relay and control systems.
• Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
• Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams, and engineering personnel to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
• Open and close switches to isolate defective relays, performing adjustments or repairs.
Tools & Technology
Experience in the following power distribution and substation components is preferred.
• Oil handling, pumping and treating (Mineral, Silicone, PCB) and taking oil samples.
• Low voltage circuit breaker preventive maintenance, repair, primary and secondary
• Injection of trip unit boxes.
• Low voltage motor control circuit bucket testing.
• Medium voltage circuit breaker preventive maintenance, repair and bottle testing.
• Oil circuit breaker removal, preventive maintenance, bushinlg and mechanical repairs.
• SF6 circuit breaker installation, filling and testing.
• Motor operated circuit breaker installation, maintenance, filling and testing.
• Manual operated disconnect switch installation, maintenance and repair.
• DC and AC VLF cable testing.
• Three point fall of potential earth ground testing.
• Transformer installation, assembly and testing.
• Limited experience with testing electromechanically time over current and reclosing relays.
Experience with the following electrical test equipment.
• Voltage and current Fluke multimeter.
• Insulation test set (Megohmmeter).
• Low/High current contact resistance test set.
• Primary and Secondary injection test sets for low voltage breakers.
• Current transformer test set (Single and Multi ratio).
• Transformer power factor test set.
• Transformer winding resistance test set.
• Transformer turns to turns ratio test set.
• DC and VLF high pot test set.
• Earth ground resistance test set.
• Phase rotation meter.
• Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
• Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
• Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Hard working, responsible, team player.
• Following instructions and given assignments
• Great communication skills
• Organizational, motivational and troubleshooting skills.
• Experienced in providing customer service and working under pressure.
• Passion to learn new skills, complete required training and to explore new possibilities and positions within the company.
• Valid driver license (CDL preferred)
• Wearing Protective or Safety Equipment including FR clothing, Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hard Hats, body harnesses and other as tasks require.
• Working outdoors, exposed to hazardous cold and hot weather conditions
• Required to work at heights up to 50'.
• Repetitive wrenching, utilizing both hands at the same time
• Work shifts ranging from 8 hours to 24 hour shifts depending on task.
• Extensive travel and time away from home residence.
• Repetitive climbing up and down ladders.
• Heavy lifting up to 751bs individually and team lifting up to 300lbs.
Dependability - Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Analytical Thinking - Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
Attention to Detail - Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Following Instructions- Job requires following the instructions and procedures given by senior co-workers to complete the company, tasks and project objectives
Independence - Job requires at times guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
Teamwork - Job requires working with co-workers safely and effectively to complete projects in a timely manner. Selflessness and Team priorities are essential to a successful project.
Initiative - Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.